Physicians of Tomorrow
AMAF Physicians of Tomorrow
Applications will be available beginning December 3, 2018
Application deadline is Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 11:59 PM CST (NO EXCEPTIONS)
General Eligibility Requirements
- Must be nominated through the medical school dean's office or the dean's designate.
- All nominees must be rising final year students (third year students who are approaching their final year of medical school, set to graduate in May 2020). If a student is in a five-year program, they can be nominated either at the end of their third year or prior to their final year in medical school.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited U.S. allopathic or osteopathic medical school.
- Must be permanent residents or citizens of the United States.
- *Note that AMA membership or non-membership is not taken into consideration at all when determining the recipients.
In addition to the criteria inherent to all Physicians of Tomorrow scholarships listed above, nominees must meet the following requirements for each of the following $10,000 scholarship awards.
|National Award Categories|
|AMAF Physicians of Tomorrow (general)||All accredited U.S. medical schools may submit two nominees for this award category.|
|Underrepresented in Medicine||All accredited U.S. medical schools may submit two nominees for this award category|
|Dr. Richard Allen Williams & Genita Evangelista Johnson/Association of Black Cardiologists Scholarship (**$5,000**)||All accredited U.S. medical schools may submit one nominee for this award category|
|AMA Alliance Grassroots Physicians of Tomorrow Scholarship||All accredited U.S. medical schools may submit two nominees for this award category|
|The Herman E. Diskin, MD Memorial Physicians of Tomorrow Scholarship||All accredited U.S. medical schools may submit one nominee for this award category|
|Regionally-Specific Award Categories|
|Dr. Lin and Minta Hill Alexander Physicians of Tomorrow Scholarship||Medical schools in the state of Oklahoma may submit two nominees for this award category|
|Medical Society of the State of New York/Dr. Duane and Joyce Cady Physicians of Tomorrow Scholarship||Medical schools in the state of New York may submit two nominees for this award category|
|Ohio Physicians of Tomorrow Scholarship||Medical schools in the state of Ohio may submit two nominees for this award category|
Students interested in applying for the Physicians of Tomorrow Award must do so through the medical school dean's office or the dean's designate. AMA Foundation scholarship information is available to the offices of the dean, student affairs, minority affairs and financial aid. Each medical school should determine the appropriate nominator/designate for the Physicians of Tomorrow Award. The dean or dean's designate chooses scholarship nominees at his or her discretion. Students can only be nominated for one category under the Physicians of Tomorrow Award Program. After the student has been nominated, the medical school administrator and the student can work together to collect the necessary documentation for submission.
Required Nomination Materials
- Application form through the online portal at amaf.smapply.io
- Personal statement completed in the allotted space in the portal. Please note specific requirements for the personal statement for some award categories as noted.
- Signed student financial statement Student must provide signed consent through the application for the financial aid officer to complete this information, per new data sharing regulations from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Signed letter of recommendation from the office of the dean or dean's designate Only letters uploaded to the portal will be accepted.
- Signed letter of recommendation from a faculty member Only letters uploaded to the portal will be accepted.
- Medical school transcript (copy/unofficial transcript acceptable)
- *USMLE or COMLEX transcript (Step 1)(copy/unofficial transcript/score is acceptable)
- Completed Registrar Academic Summary Student must provide signed consent through the application portal for the school Registrar to complete this form
*If you have not taken the USMLE or COMLEX due to school requirements, please request a letter from the Dean's Office stating when the test will be completed. You can upload this letter in the section that requests your scores.
Applications, including all required materials, will only be accepted through the online portal at amaf.smapply.io. Students nominated by their medical school must be provided the proper submission code based on their nomination category. Students will be prompted for this code in the application portal and will not be able to proceed if they do not have a code.
Materials must be submitted through the application portal on or before February 7, 2019 at 11:59pm Central Standard Time. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Questions? Email us!
Tiffany V. Seay, Senior Program Officer - email@example.com
Emily Demko, Program Associate - firstname.lastname@example.org